I love baking and I know loads of you lot do too, so I thought I'd be a good soul and share my family's secret recipe for the lightest, most delicious victoria sponge cake you've ever had!
- 250g butter, melted until almost liquid
- 250g caster sugar
- 250g self-raising flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
For the decorations
- some jam (we use raspberry in our house)
- 500g icing sugar
- 160g butter
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 50ml milk
- 3 packets of chocolate fingers
- packs of various fruit
Make the cake:
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees
- In a bowl, put the melted butter and sugar. Whisk until it goes pale and fluffy with a hand held electric mixer
- Add the four and baking powder and slowly whisk as you pour in the eggs and vanilla essence
- Keep whisking until fluffy and light. The mixture may be thicker than you're used to but it's perfect
- Grease 2 20cm springform cake tins and divide the mixture evenly
- Put in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the top bounces back when you touch it and a skewer comes out clean if you stab the middle.
- Take out the oven, pull out of pans and leave to completely cool
While the cake is cooling, make the buttercream icing by whisking the icing sugar, butter, vanilla essence and milk for 5 minutes until light and fluffy
Next, using a bread knife take the tops off the cakes to make them flat. Then spread a quarter of the buttercream on the top of one, and loads of jam on top of the others. then sandwich them together so one cake is upside-down to leave a smooth top. This should make the cakes just slightly smaller than the fingers to allow lots of toppings!
Using a palette knife, spread all over the cake with buttercream. If you are picking up lots of crumbs, dip your palette knife in hot water between spreads. Then stick the chocolate fingers along the side like a little wall (which left 2 for me to eat!). Take your palette knife again and smooth the icing until it is flat against the chocolate finger wall and then using your fruit, create a pretty pattern on top! Lovely!