I've never been good with seafood but for some reason I love paella. I've been experimenting with a few recipes and for me, this has been the best one. It has all the lovely flavours, without the scary seafood and is really quick and easy to make after work!
You will need:
- olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper (yellow or red)
- 3 cloves of garlic or a teaspoon of garlic powder
- half a large cooking chorizo, skinned and sliced
- half teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 4 chicken thigh fillets without skin, chopped up into bitesized pieces
- 250g paella rice
- 100ml white wine
- 500ml chicken stock
- pinch of saffron
- fillet of cheap smoked fish, chopped up
- pile of frozen peas
- handful of prawns
- some butter
- lemon cut into wedges
1. slice up the onion into small pieces and chop the pepper up. Put in a large frying pan with some oil and fry on a medium heat until softened. Add the garlic, sliced chorizo and smoked paprika and continue to fry until the chorizo has released its oils and is starting to look cooked.
2. Add the chicken thighs and fry until they have some colour on, then add the paella rice and fry for a further few minutes until it starts to look translucent on the outside.
3. Add the wine and simmer on a medium/high heat until it's reduced. Add the chicken stock and a pinch of saffron (not sure this actually adds to the taste...) Give it a good stir and leave to simmer on a medium/low heat for 10 minutes stir a couple of times but not too much.
4. Add the smoked fish and push down onto the paella, but don't let it break up. Put a lid on and leave to simmer for a further 5 minutes, then add a big handful of frozen peas (as many as you want) and leave to simmer with the lid on for 5 more minutes.
5. When the rice is cooked but "al dente", cover the pan in a layer of foil for 10 minutes
6. Meanwhile, in a small pan, put in a knob of butter and some more garlic (if you like) and fry the prawns for a few minutes until cooked.
7. After the 10 minute are up, stir the paella gently, and toss over the prawns and butter mix
8. Serve with a wedge of lemon
There you go! An easy, delicious paella.